Holistic Midwifery Care
nurturing | skilled | family-centered care
The type of midwifery care that I offer encourages and supports you in being the captain of your ship. This is your body, your baby, and your birth. I will support you in finding your way through all of the emotions, details and information as YOU decide how you want to bring your baby into this world. We know that when care providers step back and allow birth to unfold in a physiological way, that little to no interventions are needed.
The foundation of midwifery care, is an open and trusting relationship between midwife and client setting the foundation for a successful and satisfying birth experience. As your midwife, I provide compassionate, family-centered prenatal, birth, and postpartum care. In addition to supporting you during your pregnancy and birth, I continue to provide care to you and your newborn through six weeks postpartum.
As your midwife, I will offer you several Informed Choice forms and encourage you to seek out more information when making decisions about you and your baby's care.
In order to offer nurturing and individualized care, I only take 2-3 clients each month.
I offer Informed Choices on:
- For you: Genetic Screening, Gestational Diabetes, RhoGAM, GBS Screening, Vaginal Birth After Cesarean, Twins, Breech Birth; and
- For your baby: Newborn Screening, Newborn Hearing Screen, Critical Congenital Heart Defect Screening, Eye Prophylaxis, Vitamin K
Prenatal visits are generally an hour long or more, and tailored to your individual needs allowing us the time needed to get to know one another. At each visit I will check in with you to see how you are feeling and offer hands on assessment to see how you and your baby are doing. This is also a good time to discuss your questions and concerns. By providing you with information and quality care every step of the way, my goal is to help you prepare physically and emotionally for labor and birth, and the transition to motherhood. Appointments are typically scheduled once every 4 weeks 12-28 weeks, every two weeks 28-36 weeks, and then weekly from 36 weeks until the birth of your baby.
I offer physical exams, prenatal testing/screens, lab work, and ultrasound referrals. When necessary, I can refer you to other health care professionals. I practice low-intervention care (Biodynamic Model) and recommend the simplest remedies first for complications or discomforts using the wisdom of nutrition, herbs, exercise, yoga, homeopathy, and other healing modalities.
Many women find that water provides a sense of privacy and supports relaxation, which reduces fear and stress. This allows a birthing woman to concentrate and stay calm and focused on the birth process. Waterbirth makes changing positions easier, and the loss of gravity helps labor to progress and oxytocin levels to rise. Being in water can provide a safe place for complete surrender to the power of birth. The majority of the births I have attended have been waterbirths. I am very comfortable and happy to support you in laboring and birthing in the water should you choose to. I also have a Birth Pool in a Box tub for my clients to use.
After your baby is born, my assistant and I will stay with you for 3-4 hours to ensure that both you and your baby are doing well and bonding with one another. Your baby is kept with you the whole time, and I can do most, if not all of the Newborn Exam with your baby right on you. If you are needing support with breastfeeding or other needs, I can provide that as well. It is my intention to keep the immediate postpartum time calm to allow for an intimate environment for attachment to take place. You will have as much time to rest and recover from the birth as you need.
Follow-up postpartum care includes a home visit on days one, three and seven. This will provide you the opportunity to get more rest while I provide breastfeeding support, as well as physical assessments of you and your newborn. Additional postpartum visits are usually scheduled at two, four, and six weeks in office. Outside of scheduled visits, I am always available for questions and concerns.
In addition, the following is included in the Holistic Midwifery Care Package:
- Availability via phone, text and email for non-emergent matters during office hours 10-6 pm Tuesday through Friday, and urgent matters 24/7;
- A home visit between 35-36 weeks to familiarize myself and my assistant with your home and any pets you may have;
- On call 24 hours a day starting at 37 weeks until the birth of your baby;
- Mileage driving to and from your home for your 35-36 week visit, and your 1, 3 & 7 day postpartum visits;
- Labor, birth and postpartum care up to 6 weeks postpartum for you & your baby;
- For baby
- Newborn Exam, administration of Vitamin K (if you choose), administration of Eye Prophylaxis (if you choose); Newborn Screen (if you choose), and a Critical Congenital Heart Defect screen (if you choose);
- 2 Holistic Pelvic CareTM sessions to be used between 6-12 weeks postpartum;
- Birth tub use (liner not included);
- Birth Certificate filing;
- Standard prenatal testing (test fees not included);
- Medical consultation and referrals as needed; and
- Connecting you with local resources.
Fees not included in the package fee:
- Prenatal blood work/screens and ultrasounds (can be billed to most insurances);
- Home Birth Kit;
- Newborn Screen, (the State will pay if you cannot);
- RhoGam; and
- Vitamin K
Comprehensive Holistic Midwifery Care Package $3,500
Convenient office location in downtown Duluth with free parking.